Remembering Aaden

With this being my first post in over three weeks I guess the first thing to do is to apologize to all of my faithful blog readers 🙂

By now, most of you know what happened two weeks and two days ago and if you don’t know, it is not too hard to find out. Ashlee and I lost our little Aaden and these past two weeks have been the hardest two weeks we will ever have to go through. To have a perfectly healthy five week old little boy who is growing and developing one minute, and the next minute to not have him any more is hard to understand. Ashlee and I are easing our way through the grieving process and know that our lives will never be “normal” again.

One thing I must say is that when a person goes through a difficulty as enormous as this, you realize who your true friends really are. Ashlee and I are forever grateful and indebted to the army of people at Aletheia church in Harrisonburg, our family, and our extended family and church family all across the nation. You have wept with us, prayed with and for us, wrapped your loving arms around us, and have taken the difficult journey of healing with us. We cannot express our gratitude enough and words just do not do you justice. But please know how very thankful we are to have all of you who have been there for us in our lives, helping us through this tragedy.

Our lives are starting over again. It feels so strange. We don’t know how to live sometimes because there is such a huge void there. Even though Aaden was only with us for five and a half weeks, he was our son. He was Drew’s little brother. He had his own unique characteristics that made him Aaden. He was strong and inquisitive. He had a classic look to him. He would smile in his sleep (if I slept for 22 hours a day I would probably be smiling too). He was the best. We will never forget him. He will always be our son. I love Aaden… And I miss him. But he’s chillin’ with Jesus and that is sweet!

And as I said in front of 500 people the day after he passed away at Aletheia, and in front of another 300 at his memorial, my son’s passing will not be in vain. In fact, his death has already produced life. Since the tragic day of November 15th, around 50 people have committed their lives to Christ. Remember what Pastor Dave said three Sundays ago now, “when a son dies, people get rescued.” Aaden has had more of an impact on God’s kingdom in his short life than many of us will have in our life times. And this is just the beginning. Thousands are going to come to Christ in the coming years as a result of this great sacrifice. Ashlee and I wish that it could have been another way…any other way. I begged God as I watched 15 doctors and nurses trying to revive my little boy; “Please don’t take him, take me God.” For me, any other way would have sufficed…

But this is what God wanted. This is God’s will. God’s purpose for this is far reaching and unfathomable and I am going to give every ounce of my being to see this purpose fulfilled.

My life has changed forever. Ashlee and I now face the arduous task of moving forward when at times there seems to be no hope and no reason to move forward. We are lonely and vulnerable. But this is good. Because that means God will just receive that much more glory. He will be exalted that much more through our weakness. I know that His promises ring true. “For when I am weak, then I am strong” (2 Cor. 12:10).

Please keep praying for Ashlee, Drew, and I. Pray also for Pastor Dave, Chippy, Amy, and Jon. They lost a family member as well. Please don’t forget about us. We have appreciated the love and support over the past two weeks and I’m sure it’s easy for most of you to move on with your lives. That’s how life goes. But the reality is that Ashlee and I have to face this every day we wake up. And we will continue to desperately need the prayers and support of our loving community of friends and brothers and sisters in Christ.

Thank you.

27 Comments

• Daniel Floyd says:

praying for you big time – we love you guys!!

• Chelsea says:

We love you and your family so much A.P.
    We’re constantly thinking of you and praying specifically for you –
    if ever you need anything, we’re here.

• Ashley Saunders says:

Reading your blog was hard. On the other hand I Can see that God is in every part of this. We love you guys. We are praying daily for you.

• Brett Redgate says:

We pray for yall at every remembrance of your family and Aaden. And He has kept yall on our hearts constantly. We love you all dearly.

• Chris says:

Bro, I’m sorry. I didn’t know until you posted. I am praying for you guys.

• Ann Custalow says:

We continue to keep you guys in our prayers. Tell Ashlee this is a long distance hug from me. I pray for God’s continued comfort and grace to multiply and hold you up. Please know we are praying for you.

• othoniel a valdes sr says:

May you continue to experience God’s presence ,grace & wisdom as you travel with Him in this dark road.

• Jamie Limato says:

Love you bro. you are always in my prayers and we are in your corner. you are one of my biggest heroes and i am glad i have you as a big brother in the faith. keep pressing forward and remember that we are always here for you and willing to help in any way possible. if you said go to the mars and start an aletheia there…we would be all over it. Peace.

• Erin says:

Aaron, we count it a privilege to take you, Ashlee and Drew before the throne every day. We love you guys so much and hurt with you daily. We’re here for anything, anytime!

• Laurie says:

You have to know that our Father will never cease placing the Proffitts on the hearts of many, despite you feeling the world move on. What an awesome way Christ in glorified, when the body can support, grieve with,and encourage our brothers and sisters. In His grace, Laurie

• Rosemary & Andy says:

Aaron & Ashley,
    What a privilege to have met the little guy. We will be praying for your family as you walk in His light, footsteps as they may be. In His love, A&R

• Christy P says:

It’s amazing how God will use anything, even tragedies, to bring HImself such amazing glory. 50 people to accept Jesus…that’s like 10 people for every week Aaden was alive. That’s one powerful baby. You all are so strong and amazing to be able to cope with this, but I know God will carry you through and you will come out refined and more like Him. Love you all & hugs from Richmond 🙂

• Molly says:

“Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through whom also we have access by faith into his grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulations produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who has given to us.”
    ~Romans 5 1-5
    This verse really spoke to me after I heard about your dear little Aaden. Words cannot express how much my heart goes out to you three. I think about you and pray for you often, hang in there and know that God will give you peace and comfort.

• Keilan says:

Aaron & Ashlee,

Just wanted to let you guys know we love and we’re praying for you down here at Aletheia Richmond. I thought of you guys as I read this verse of William Cowper’s poem, “Light Shining out of Darkness”:

His purposes will ripen fast,
    Unfolding ev’ry hour;
    The bud may have a bitter taste,
    But sweet will be the flow’r.

He moves in a mysterious way to us sometimes, but He is so full of mercy!

Much love.

• Emilio says:

Your strength and trust in the fathers love not only shows your humility and love for God but it gives us a wisdom and reverence for the sovereignty of God. I thank you for your obedience in your sacrifice, it proves hope. And i will stand by your side and see God get the glory as living sacrifices. Prayin. Love you brother.

• Phil and Amanda Kassel says:

AP –

Although we are here in TN, we want you to know that we are here for anything that you and your family may need. You have so many family and friends across this country who are praying for The Proffitts and we are amongst the many. We love you guys and continue to pray for you daily. We are learning so much from you through this because of your faithfulness, obedience, and leadership, and love. We are here for you all for anything you need. We don’t throw those words out there just to throw them out there. ANYTHING we can do, we will. We love you!!!

• Kate Sacra says:

Aaron, Ashlee, and Drew;
    You have the many many prayers of so many at Aletheia and yes, all across the globe. Know you will continue to be in my prayers as well!

• miquel castillo says:

Hoal Aaron, me acaba de decir Mel, lo que os ha ocurrido, lo siento muchisimo y me gustaria estar con vosotros. Me gustaria que me dieras tu telefono para poder hablar contigo y tu familia. Muchos ánimos

• Kristin C says:

I just wanted to let you know that you and your whole family are still in my thoughts and are in my prayers. If you guys need anything,(food, encouragement, a newspaper [for lack of a better thought]) PLEASE let me know. You guys are not forgotten. The Lord is with you and so is your church family.

• Audrey says:

Hampton and I pray for you daily! I wish I was back in Harrisonburg to give you two a huge. Your trust in God is such an inspiration to us both. Your trust in God is such and inspiration to us. We love you!

• Mike & Donna Davis says:

Our thoughts and prayers are still with you and your family. God does have a purpose for this tragedy which is greater than anyone can imagine — and we know that ALL things, even this thing, work together for good for those who love Him. We praise Him for the 50 who have come to Him so far. May God continue to strengthen you. He is your Comforter, your Rock, your Shield, your Fortress, your Deliverer.

• jennifer says:

Hello, I am a friend of Debbie Jarvis, she told us about your loss and my prayers go out to you. I am so encouraged by your faith through such a painful time. It helps me to remember what is important and who is in control. I pray God will keep you and your family strong. Jesus has your little one now, he couldn’t be in better hands.

• Brian Wright says:

It’s awesome to see God working thru all of this. From our family and churches we have told about your story, we just want you to know we will continue to pray for you.

Also, it is good to see how much love Aletheia has for you and your family. Keep up the good work church family.

• Ashley Koelling says:

I just wanted to let ya’ll know I was praying for you, I don’t know how it is but I am sure it is hard, from the deaths I have experienced it was hard, this must be even harder. You will always be in my prayers. Stay strong. God Loves You.

<3 and so do I!!

• Karla says:

Pain is heavy burden. And sorrow a draining load. My prayer for you and the family is that you feel God’s strength and peace in a strong way. That He lift you up through the unbearably exhausting moments and rock you to restful sleep in the heartbreaking quiet moments. And that His love bubble through those around you to effervescently carry you along through this rough journey. My prayers are with you. – Karla

• […] right, 5 times Ashlee has conceived. Our first we miscarried at 8 weeks. Our second was Drew. Our third was Aaden who we lost to SIDS at 5.5 weeks. Our fourth was Asher (who is a complete nut job, but the cutest little guy in the whole world). […]

• […] 1. We were only 136 days removed from losing our second born son to SIDS. Read what I wrote 12 days after I buried him here. […]